Famous in France but also abroad, Sophie Marceau is a French actress born on November 17, 1966, in Paris. She made her acting debut at the age of 14, alongside Claude Brasseur and Brigitte Fossey in Claude Pinoteau’s cult film: “La Boum”. César for best female hope in 1983 for the continuation of Vic’s adventures in “La Boum 2”, Sophie Marceau has also toured with the greatest French directors, such as Jean-Paul Salomé, François Ozon, Georges Lautner or Maurice Pialat. During the 90s, Sophie Marceau was noticed by Hollywood and was offered leading roles in blockbusters. The French actress plays Isabelle de France in the film Braveheart by Mel Gibson but also the diabolical James Bond Girl “Electra King” alongside Pierce Brosnan in “The world is not enough”. In this article, we are going to look at Sophie Marceau’s film debut, her greatest films and the men who shared her life.
The actress’ debut
Born Sophie Maupu, Sophie Marceau spent her childhood in the towns of Chelles and Gentilly, in the suburbs of Paris. As a teenager, she joined an advertising agency to earn her pocket money. Spotted quickly during an audition last year of her 13th birthday, she obtained, in 1980, the main role of the film “La Boum” by Claude Pinoteau. The character of Vic, a romantic and rebellious teenager, brings Sophie Marceau immediate fame and the second part of “La Boum” allows her to obtain the César for best female hope in 1983. This same year, Sophie Marceau turns alongside Gérard Depardieu in the film “Fort Saganne” by Alain Corneau, but also in the film “Happy Easter” alongside Jean-Paul Belmondo. In 1985, the Polish director Andrzej Zulawski, who would become his future companion, offered him the role of Mary in the film “l’amour braque”. In 1988, Claude Pinoteau again offered her a successful role in the film “l’ étudiante”. In the 90s, Sophie Marceau was at the peak of her art and the actress is essential in major French productions with in particular roles in costumes, as in the films “Fanfan” in 1993 or “the daughter of d’Artagnan” in 1994. Thanks to her performances as an actress, Sophie Marceau stands out by Hollywood and obtained in 1995 his first role across the Atlantic in the blockbuster directed by Mel Gibson, “Braveheart”.
The greatest films of Sophie Marceau
Sophie Marceau, French and international actress, has appeared in nearly 50 films during her career. Sophie Marceau’s greatest successes are:
- La Boum : this cult film directed by Claude Pinoteau marks the debut of the actress and brought together 4,378,000 spectators in theaters.
- La Boum 2 : this sequel which recounts the adventures of a teenager in Paris will appeal to 4,071,000 spectators.
- LOL : this film directed by Lisa Azuelos in 2009 gathered 3,660,000 spectators. An American version will be adapted in 2012 by this same director, with in the main roles, the actresses Demi Moore and Miley Cyrus.
- The world is not enough : this 19th opus of the adventures of James Bond alongside Pierce Brosnan attracted 3,599,000 spectators in France.
- Happy Easter : directed in 1984 by Georges Lautner, this film brings together Sophie Marceau and Jean-Paul Belmondo. 3,428,000 cinema admissions.
- Fort Saganne : directed in 1984 by Alain Corneau, this film gathered 2,157,000 spectators in dark rooms.
- Belphegor, the ghost of the Louvres : released in 2001, this French film directed by Jean-Paul Salomé and filmed in the corridors of the famous Louvre museum brought together 2,032,000 spectators at the cinema.
- Police : directed in 1985 by Maurice Pialat, this film once again brought together Sophie Marceau and Gérard Depardieu and totaled 1,830,000 admissions.
- Happiness never comes alone : released in 2012, this film relates the adventures of Sacha, a single pianist played by Gad Elmaleh and a mother of a large family played by Sophie Marceau. 1,770,000 entries.
- Les Chouans : this film directed by Philippe de Broca in 1988 alongside actors Philippe Noiret and Lambert Wilson attracted 1,634,000 spectators.
- Braveheart : directed and starring American actor Mel Gibson, this film gathered 1,231,000 spectators in French cinemas.
- Fanfan : directed in 1993 by Alexandre Jardin, this film brought together 1,045,000 million spectators.
Her career as a director
Sophie Marceau is not only an internationally renowned actress, she is also a director who to date has made 4 films behind the camera.
- Dawn upside down : this short film made in 1995 marks the debut of Sophie Marceau as a director.
- Parlez-moi d’amour : for this second film made in 2001, Sophie Marceau won the prize for directing at the 2002 Montreal festival.
- The Disappeared of Deauville : made in 2007, this film is interpreted by her companion at the time, the actor Christophe Lambert.
- Madame Mills, such a perfect neighbor : made in 2018, this film tells the story of a woman working in publishing and whose life is transformed with the arrival of a new neighbor.
Sophie Marceau: who are the men in her life?
Several male personalities have shared the life of Sophie Marceau. Its most famous partners are:
- Andrzej Zulawski : Only 15 years old, Sophie Marceau met the Polish director at the Cannes Film Festival in 1981. At 18, she officially begins a relationship with the latter, 26 years her senior. Sophie Marceau and Andrzej Zulawski shared their life for 17 years and from their union was born their son Vincent, in 1995. The couple separated in 2001.
- Jim Lemley : in 1999, during the filming of James Bond “the world is not enough”, Sophie Marceau began an affair with the producer crossed on the set of Anna Karenina in 1996. From this relationship was born a daughter named Juliette, in June 2002. The couple separated in 2007.
- Christophe Lambert : real love at first sight for the actress in 2007 during the shooting of her third film as a director. Their union will last until 2014, the year of their separation.
- Cyril Lignac : from January to November 2016, the actress shares the love life of the famous chef and pastry chef.
- Richard Caillat : the associate director of the famous Parisian theater “Théâtre de la Michaudière” has been sharing the life of the actress for a few years now.
In 2022, Sophie Marceau is starring in Lisa Azuelos’ new film entitled “I love America”. In this comedy, the French star plays Lisa, a young woman who decides to leave Paris to settle in Los Angeles. The film was released on March 11, 2022, exclusively on Amazon Prime.
Follow the actress on her Instagram account