Marion Cotillard is a French actress born in Paris in 1975. Famous in France and internationally, Marion Cotillard began her career in the famous Taxi saga alongside Frédéric Diefenthal. César for Best Actress in 2004 for her performance in Jean-Pierre Jeunet’s film “A Long Engagement Sunday”, Marion Cotillard was also awarded an Oscar in 2008. Favorite French actress like Sophie Marceau , Marion Cotillard has since conquered Hollywood where great directors like Christopher Nolan or Ridley Scott have called on her acting talents. In this article, we are going to look at the beginnings of Marion Cotillard in the cinema, on her career in France and in Hollywood, while stopping on her greatest successes.
Marion Cotillard’s acting debut
Daughter of an actor and drama teacher, Marion Cotillard made her acting debut in the theater where her father introduced her to the art of mime. In 1994, she entered the conservatory of dramatic arts in Orléans, before moving to Paris the following year. Marion Cotillard then went on to play small roles in the cinema and made appearances in famous French films such as “la belle verte” by Coline Serrault. In 1998, she received her first interpretation award with the short film by director Luc Gallissaries “case classified”, but it was really the commercial success of the film “Taxi” produced by Luc Besson that brought Marion Cotillard notoriety. The actress will participate in the first 3 parts of the saga, but the film project “la môme” will confirm that the actress now wishes to participate in more ambitious film projects. In 2003, the American director Tim Burton offered Marion Cotillard a small role in the film “big fish” and in 2004, her performance in the film “children’s games” enabled her to obtain the Chopard trophy for female revelation at the Cannes Film Festival . This film also marks the first collaboration with actor and director Guillaume Canet, who will become his companion some time later. The same year, Marion Cotillard won the Caesar for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in the film “A Long Engagement Sunday”. In 2006, British director Ridley Scott called on Marion Cotillard for his film “A Great Year”. In 2007, Marion Cotillard was selected to interpret the role of Edith Piaf, in Olivier Dahan’s film “la môme”. With its worldwide success, the film consecrates the actress in a title role and allows Marion Cotillard to obtain rewards that no actress had managed to accumulate before: Marion Cotillard will receive a golden globe, a Caesar and the 2008 oscar for best actress for her performance in the film known abroad as ‘la vie en rose’.
The career of Marion Cotillard in Hollywood
Oscar winner for her portrayal of Edith Piaf in “La vie en rose”, Marion Cotillard began her career in Hollywood in 2009, collaborating with prestigious international actors and directors. In 2009, the French actress shared with Johnny Depp the poster for the film “public enemies” by Michael Mann and the same year, she shot “Nine” by Rob Marshall, alongside Nicole Kidman and Penélope Cruz. In 2010, Marion Cotillard seconded American actor Léonardo Dicaprio in Christopher Nolan’s blockbuster “Inception” and in 2011, the actress played opposite Owen Wilson in director Woody Allen’s film “Midnight in Paris”. The same year, Christopher Nolan once again offered him a role in his Batman trilogy “The Dark Knight Rises” alongside Christian Bale. In 2016, Marion Cotillard was also directed by director Robert Zemeckis in the film ‘Allies’ alongside actors Brad Pitt and Jared Harris. Marion Cotillard also shot twice for Australian filmmaker Justin Kurzel in the films ‘Macbeth’ and “Assassin’s Creed”, alongside Michael Fassbender.
The greatest films of Marion Cotillard
Since the beginning of her career, Marion Cotillard has acted in more than fifty films. Active in the cinema since the end of the 90s, the young woman with an international career has triumphed both in French productions and in Hollywood. Now famous throughout the world, the greatest films interpreted by Marion Cotillard are:
- Taxi : released in 1998, Marion Cotillard rose to fame in the role of Lily Bertineau, the girlfriend of Daniel, a taxi driver played by Samy Nacéri. This film allows him to win his first Caesar nomination, at only 23 years old.
- Big Fish : released in 2003, this film directed by Tim Burton allows Marion Cotillard to demonstrate her acting talents in Hollywood.
- A Long Engagement Sunday : released in 2004, this feature film directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet offered Marion Cotillard a Caesar for Best Supporting Actress.
- A great year : released in 2006, this film directed by Ridley Scott confirms the talents of the actress internationally.
- La môme : released in 2007, Olivier Dahan’s film brings triple consecration to the young actress who simultaneously won two Oscars, including that of best actress, a Caesar and a golden globe.
- Public enemies : released in 2009, this film directed by Michael Mann offers Marion Cotillard an exceptional role alongside Johnny Depp and Christian Bale.
- Inception : released in 2010, this blockbuster directed by Christopher Nolan confirms the talents of the actress to give the answer to international stars, like Leonardo Dicaprio.
- Les petits mouchoirs : released in 2010, this French dramatic comedy directed by Guillaume Canet attracts 5.5 million spectators in theaters. Marion Cotillard interprets the role of Marie, alongside Jean Dujardin, Gilles Lellouche and François Cluzet.
- Midnight in Paris : Released in 2011, this Woody Allen-directed comedy premiered as the opening film at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival .
- The Dark Knight Rises : released in 2012, this new achievement by Christopher Nolan allows Marion Cotillard to play opposite actor Christian Bale for a second time.
- Blood Ties : released in 2013, this film allows Marion Cotillard to be once again directed by her companion, director Guillaume Canet.
- Allies : released in 2016, this film directed by Robert Zemeckis allows Marion Cotillard to express all her acting talents against Brad Pitt.
- Rock’n roll , by Guillaume Canet, in 2017.
- We will finish together, by Guillaume Canet, in 2019.
- Annette : released in 2021, this film directed by Leos Carax will be presented at the opening of the Cannes Film Festival 2021 and will win 5 Caesars out of 11 nominations.
Marion Cotillard will soon be appearing in the new adventures of Asterix and Obelix directed by Guillaume Canet and scheduled for release in February 2023. From 2008 to 2017, the young woman was also the face of the Dior brand, where she regularly appears in advertising campaigns for Lady Dior.